Terms of Service - PLEASE READ THESE CAREFULLY
Last revised: 5/12/2004
The philosophy behind subkultures.net
Subkultures.net is a private online community that provides its members with
online journal ("blog"), message boards, a private messaging system, and live chat services. Our goal is to assemble a community that is large enough to be diverse and interesting, but small enough to feel comfortable and familiar. You need not categorize yourself as belonging to any subculture in order to hold an account on this site. All services are provided free of charge, but donations are welcomed and appreciated.
- You must be sixteen years of age or older in order to maintain an account on this system. This rule is required in part to comply with COPPA. Members who joined the site prior to 2/15/2003 and are 13 years of age or older are grandfathered in; you are still welcome on the site and do not have to delete your account.
- Respect other members, don't act like a jackass. Subkultures.net is operated by an individual who holds a "real life" professional, full-time job. I do not have time to sort out your net-drama induced flame wars. If I see any of this activity I will take whatever action necessary to get it off of the site, which includes deleting user accounts. Understand that there may be people on this site that you don't like and don't get along with. You are expected to act civil to one another. If you must engage in a flame war, then do so over another medium and keep it off subkultures.net.
- Keep hostility to a minimum. We reserve the right to close any accounts that we feel are overly hostile and detrimental to our users.
- You may NOT run "banner ads" on your page that will generate money for another site.
- You may upload up to ten images, and set one of those images as your avatar.
Individual images are limited to 75k in size. Please make note of image restrictions in the upload area.
- You may only upload images that belong to you or are considered to be in the public domain. Members uploading copyright material will have their pictures deleted and/or their account terminated.
- The following material is prohibited on subkultures.net:
- Pornographic images, including nudity or "modified genitalia".
- Nazi, "white pride", or any other "hate group" related material.
- Explicit body modification-related avatars or body modification-related image galleries. If this is your thing, consider signing for an account on WWW.BMEZINE.COM, a fine community dedicated to the art of body modification.
- Those retarded "Oral sex donations accepted here" buttons.
- "Stor Trooper" avatars.
- Drug related images, including the depiction of under-age drinking. "Under-age" is defined as under 21 years of age, regardless of what country you might be from.
- Keep your avatar image tasteful and do not use an image that could be considered "non work friendly." This rule prevents the front page from looking trashy and keeps the site viewable to those at work.
- This is a non profit site. Please understand and be considerate of the fact that this site will generate losses for the creators and maintainers of this site. We reserve the right to limit the amount of content that the user may upload to his or her account, or restrict access to said content. This can include, but is not limited to: downtime, restricting account sizes, restricting account applications, and other such necessities in order to keep the site running in the most cost efficient manner possible.
- Limit one account per person. Account sharing is not allowed.
- You agree to accept full legal responsibility for anything you post on your own page and release subkultures.net et al. from any damages resulting from use or misuse of your page.
- You agree that if you post images you do not have the legal right to that you are responsible for any liability that occurs, and if the rightful owners of said property request that the content is removed, it must be done, or your account will be removed.
- You may not use your site as a portal for warez / mp3s / passwordz sites.
- Pages that serve as an online-quiz dumping ground will be deleted.
- Subkultures.net is not a democracy. I consider myself to be a fair and open-minded person; all I ask of you is to follow the rules outlined above and be considerate of others. If you have a problem with this form of site moderation, you may want to instead consider opening a "blog" on another site.
- Instant Messages are private, but recent IM logs may be examined in cases of dispute or other TOS violations.
- Subkultures.net keeps detailed logs of all activities on this site.
subkultures.net will not release these details to either the public or other companies unless legally required to do so.
- You agree not to hack or compromise the security or functionality of the site in any way.
You agree to indemnify and hold subkultures.net, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, co-branders or other partners, and employees, harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorney's fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your Content, your use of the Service, your connection to the Service, your violation of the TOS, or your violation of any rights of another, whether you are a registered user or not. The user is solely responsible for his or her actions when using the Service, including, but not limited to, costs incurred for Internet access.
SPECIAL ADMONITIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL USE
Recognizing the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all local rules regarding online conduct and acceptable Content. Specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside.
You agree that subkultures.net, in its sole discretion, may terminate your password, journal, or account, and remove and discard any content within the Service, for any reason, including and without limitation, the lack of use, or if subkultures.net believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of the TOS. Any contracts, verbal or written or assumed, in conjunction with your deleted journal and all its parts, at subkultures.netís discretion, will be terminated as well. subkultures.net may also in its sole discretion and at any time, discontinue providing the Service, or any part thereof, with or without notice. You agree that any termination of your access to the Service under any provision of this TOS may be effected without prior notice, and acknowledge and agree that subkultures.net may immediately deactivate or delete your subkultures.net journal and all related information and files. subkultures.net reserves the right to bar any further access to such files or the Service. You agree that subkultures.net shall not be liable to you or any third-party for any termination of your access to the Service. Paid accounts that are terminated will not be refunded.
All Content posted to subkultures.net in any way, is the responsibility and property of the author. subkultures.net is committed to keeping the Service in decent standing for all audiences but is not responsible for the monitoring or filtering of any journal Content. Within the confines of international and local law, subkultures.net will not place a limit on the type, or appropriateness of user content within journals. Those users posting material not suitable for all audiences must agree that they are fully responsible for all the content they have posted anywhere on the service. Should content be deemed illegal by such law having jurisdiction over the user, subkultures.net is committed to submitting all necessary information to the proper authorities.
Please send all questions and concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org